Pokémon GO players need powerful Pokémon to defend gyms and take new ones to their teams. Here are some of the best Pokémon to suit each role.
Gyms were one of the earliest features introduced in Pokémon GO, which existed as far back as the game’s release in 2016. Despite that, they never lost their charm and challenge. With the addition of new Pokémon each year, players began to fight against a wider range of Pokémon in gyms and had more Pokémon to use themselves. If anything, training matches became more and more interesting the more Pokémon GO age.
But what are training matches? For the uninitiated, gyms are a recurring facility in the main series of games, where coaches struggle to gather gym marks. IN Pokémon GO, gyms are where the three teams, Mystic, Valor and Instinct, run off. Pokémon GO Fitness centers are located all over the world in areas of interest, like Pokéstops. When a trainer leaves their Pokémon there, they claim it for their respective teams. It is then up to other members of their team to place their Pokémon there to defend it, and for other teams to fight the Pokémon there to claim that gym for their own team. Defending gyms rewards players with gold and experience, so there is an incentive to win matches. There are certain Pokémon that are good at taking Pokémon gyms, and those who are good at defending them, so let’s take a look at the best of both.
The best Pokémon to use for gyms in Pokémon Go must have decent stats for offense, defense, endurance IV, or a combination of two. Trainers need to turn on their favorite Pokémon to obtain the best possible stats as it is handy during training matches. It is also necessary for trainers to have a versatile party, as some Pokémon may be suitable for taking down raids, while others are suitable for PvP battles. Some of the best Pokémon tend to be all-rounder that trainers can rely on on a regular basis.
Best Pokémon for Gym Defense in Pokémon GO
Since those stationed at gym defense are tasked with defending, high bulk Pokémon are best suited for the job. Pokémon has three main stats in Pokémon GO: Attack, Defense and HP (Hit Points). When choosing a Pokémon for defense, consider those with high defense and HP. Another important quality for Gym Defense is the type of movements a Pokémon learns. Some Pokémon learn moves that counteract the type they are weak against, making them excellent at fending off attackers. Below is a list of Pokémon in GO that meet the above criteria.
- Blissey – This Normal type has notoriously high HP and good defense to boot. It can also learn mentally, which is super effective against the types of combat it is weak against. Who knew something like “The Happiness Pokémon” could withstand such a blow?
- Relaxation – Another normal type, this time with impressive attack statistics. Its regular attack is Yawn, who does almost nothing, but its charged attacks are always very powerful. One of the mentioned traits, Play Rough, is strongly against match types.
- Wailord – The largest registered Pokémon, Wailord, is a water-type with weak defense but high HP. It may know Blizzard, an ice-like move to take down grass types.
- Mewtwo – Thanks to its high CP, Mewtwo is probably one of the strongest Pokémon to use. Pokémon have the second highest CP in the game and also have very high HP. Mewtwo can also learn other moves like Focus Blast and Shadow Ball, making it ideal for PvP battles.
- Hariyama – A Fighting type from Hoenn that can teach Bullet Punch and Heavy Slam, Steel-type moves super-effective against his Fairy weakness.
- Steelix – With high HP and defense, Steelix is a good choice for defense. Its Thunder Fang is super effective against water types. Its movement pool is quite diverse, teaching Crunch, a Dark-type move, and Dragon Tail.
- Bastiodon – This fossil Pokémon from Sinnoh is voluminous but not terribly powerful. It can teach Flamethrower to catch unsuspecting grass types on guard.
- Dusknoir – A type of ghost with high defense, it can learn the psychic traits. This does not cover any of its weaknesses, but Dusknoir is already resistant to Fighting types who are weak to psychic movements, so Dusknoir can become a wall against Fighting types if need be.
- Lapras – Fantastic HP and high stats all around, this type of water can take grass types down with Blizzard.
- Ferrothorn – It is only weak for fire and combat and resists many other types. Add to that its high bulk and unique balance of grass and steel movements, and Ferrothorn is a solid defender.
- Laughing – Like Lapras and Wailord, it’s a Water type that can learn an Ice type move to defend itself against the Grass type. It also has twice as many resistors as it has weaknesses.
- Gliscor – This balanced Pokémon can learn Bug, Ground, Flying and Dark movements that cover a wide range of types. Gliscor ind Pokémon Go is only weak to ice and water and resists many more.
- Regi Trio – These legends all have very high defense and HP and naturally fit into the gym’s defense. Unlike the other Pokémon on this list, they are harder to find because of their mythical status.
- Metagross The Metagross is a reliable Pokémon to use as it has excellent attack and defense stats. But Metagross is more suited to defending gyms because of its steel type. The Metagross is also a great counterpoint to attacking Pokémon like Lucario and Machamp.
Best Pokémon for Martial Arts in Pokémon GO
Pokémon, who are good attackers in Gym Battles, have two main features: High Attack and Motion Coverage. Being able to do more damage quickly is important for attacks, and having a varied set of moves will allow them to cover multiple types. Solid Defense and HP stats are also important as it allows them to keep their offensive going longer.
- Lucario – One of the best strikers in the game is Lucario. Its steel type gives it a lot of resistance and allows it to fight safely against many different types. Its Aura Sphere feature can do a lot of damage very quickly, and it can teach Shadow Ball to take down the ghost types that resist its combat moves.
- Excadril – With great HP and attack, it can keep the offensive going for a while. Its earthquake is very powerful!
- Conkeldurr – This powerful Fighting type with high HP can teach Poison Jab to remove Fairy Types, and Stone Edge to remove Flying types.
- Reuniclus – A more extensive Psychic type, Reuniclus has type coverage with Future Sight, Thunder and Shadow Ball.
- Dragonite – Dragonite has always been one of the strongest Pokémon in the series, and it applies in Pokémon GO. It can learn powerful Dragon-type features like Draco Meteor and has Flying and Steel coverage with Hurricane and Steel Wing, respectively.
- Mamosvin – One of the strongest ice types in Pokémon GO, Mamoswine hits hard with Avalanche, Bulldoze or Stone Edge. It has many weaknesses, but is also super effective against many other types.
- Tyranitar – This giant Pokémon has coverage against many types thanks to its varied movement pool, which includes movements of the Dark, Rock, Fire and Steel type. Combined with its high attack, Tyranitar can easily make a dent in most Pokémon.
- Gengar – A classic and the original Ghost type, Gengar continues to terrorize his enemies. By learning Ghost, Poison, Dark, Psychic and even the Fighting type Focus Blast, Gengar has many tricks up his sleeve that players can take advantage of.
- Salamence – Hoenn’s violent Dragon and Flying type learn Fire moves to melt the types of ice it is weak against. In addition to learning the fabled Draco Meteor, Salamence can learn Hydro Pump, one of the most powerful water-type movements.
- Legends – Virtually all legends, like Mewtwo and Deoxys, have high attacks and powerful moves; As expected for Pokémon status. Any player who manages to catch one will want to use their power to challenge gyms.
Pokémon GO is available for iOS and Android.
Marvel’s Avengers leak suggests Yelena, Iron Heart or Shuri coming soon
About the author