Much has changed at relegation-threatened Newcastle since they were last able to buy players. Joe Willock was the only arrival in the summer, but as many as six new recruits could be picked up by the club’s new owners this month to equip Eddie Howe with a team capable of surviving. As reported by I, Newcastle are confident of making Atletico Madrid and England right-backs Kieran Trippier their first signing.
Trippier’s former club Tottenham may also be busy, judging by Antonio Conte’s recent comments. “After only two weeks, I said we need to improve the quality of the squad,” the Italian said before the New Year’s victory at Watford. “The situation is clearly clearer now than before. I am waiting for a meeting with the club and then also to give my opinion about the squad and what I think about our situation. ”
Another new manager who might want to rebuild an inherited squad is Manchester Uniteds Ralf Rangnick, who will remain at Old Trafford after the end of the campaign on a consultant basis. A number of outfielders have been tipped to leave, including Jesse Lingard, Anthony Martial, Edinson Cavani, Phil Jones, Donny van de Beek and Dean Henderson.
Although the window only opened on January 1, some major trades have already been completed. Ferran Torres has officially completed its £ 54.8m transfer. from Manchester City to Barcelona after agreeing terms with the La Liga club in December. “I always said it, it was very clear to me. I went to City to return to one of the greats in Spain, ”Torres said mischievously at his Nou Camp unveiling.
Elsewhere, Everton have strengthened their back-to-back options in the first four days of the window by signing Ukrainian left-back Vitaliy Mykolenko from Dynamo Kiev and Scottish right-back Nathan Patterson from Rangers. Lucas Digne has been tipped to leave Goodison Park this month following an altercation with Rafa Benitez.
Although Premier League clubs are better protected from the financial consequences of the pandemic than most companies, you can expect a few of them to sniff around players who will be out of contract at the end of the season. Clubs are able to enter into pre-contract agreements with foreign-based players entering into the last six months of their contracts according to Bosman judgments.
The transfer window closes at 23.00 [GMT] Monday, January 31st. Here are all the completed offers so far.
Out: Keinan Davis (loan to Nottingham Forest)
IN: Jonas Lossl (loan from FC Midtjylland)
Withdrawn from loan: Lars Dendoncker (from St Johnstone)
Out: Aaron Connolly (loan to Middlesbrough)
IN: Vitaliy Mykolenko (undisclosed from Dynamo Kiev), Nathan Patterson (£ 16m from Rangers)
Withdrawn from loan: Leighton Clarkson (from Blackburn)
Out: Tony Gallagher (undisclosed to St Johnstone)
Out: Teden Mengi (loan to Birmingham)
Withdrawn from loan: Matty Longstaff (from Aberdeen)
Out: Sam McQueen (retired)
Withdrawn from loan: Alfie Whiteman (from Degerfors)
IN: Maduka Okoye (£ 5 million from Sparta Rotterdam)
Withdrawn from loan: Dion Sanderson (from Birmingham), Ryan Giles (from Cardiff)