Chris Wood responds after Gary Lineker questions a “wrong fee” of £ 25m. Newcastle transfer



Gary Lineker just had to print an exploding head emoji instead of starting the debate.

Responds to the latest news Newcastle United’s move after Burnley’s Chris Wood, Lineker expressed his disbelief in a very modern way over the fact that an offer of £ 20 million had been made to the attacker.

He was poised to double down as Magpies fans responded to the criticism as a call for arms. “I have not written him off. He is a decent player, but as a 30-year-old it is an insane fee,” wrote Lineker.

Judging by the reaction in football, he was not alone. A recruitment specialist told I it felt as if Newcastle were “planning the championship” – a harsh interruption as the transfer had to be seen through the prism of their relegation problems and the chance they have taken to weaken a direct rival.

More from Football

Tree was introduced as a Newcastle player on Thursday and the fee was actually £ 25 million.

“It’s one of them: you’re only worth as much as a club is willing to pay for you,” the New Zealand striker said when Lineker’s comments were sent to him.

“If that’s what Newcastle feel I’m worth at the moment, then that’s how it is.

“You never know, in six months we might look back on this as a big deal and it will be worth it. In that sense, it does not really bother me the number on the price tag, I still have the same challenge and drive to to work hard. ”

It is one of those deals that is driven by football logic rather than financial planning. Wood will be 32 when his contract expires and no other club in world football would have triggered the release clause in his Burnley deal.

But for Newcastle, it feels like an excellent piece of business. Without a focal point for their attack until March, they need goals and victories. Relegation would cost that many times the cost of Wood and the club’s philosophy in January is driven by the need to stay up and rebuild in the summer.

“Nothing else matters,” a senior source said I. A center-back will be the next, with interest in Diego Carlos from Seville intensifies.

Burnley, meanwhile, have been left in contention for a replacement and Sean Dyche is frustrated that his main offensive sting is being abandoned. Wood sympathizes, but insists he must step out of his “comfort zone.”

“To me, there is no bad blood with Burnley,” he said.

“I was comfortable, clarified, and in my opinion you do not achieve anything good by doing it. I just felt it was the right time to challenge myself. ”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *